The Globe is Harwich oldest surviving pub that is still trading. It dates to 1753 as a pub and is believed to predate this by several decades as a house.
The Globe is Grade II listed, having attained the listing in 1951 and is noted for the original beams inside, behind the 19th century exterior:
Public house, probably former house. Early to mid C17. Timber-framed and rendered with double range of clay plain tiled roofs (concrete plain tiles on inner slopes). 2 storeys with low attic storey and cellars and jettied on NE and SE sides.
The Historic Harwich Pub Trail has additional information :
The Globe’s history as a pub seems to start in 1753 when it became a public house operated by Thomas Cobbold as part of his brewery and tied estate in the town. It was probably a house prior to that dating from the early to mid 17th Century.
The Globe occupies a prime position in the town, being next to the King’s Quay, close to early fortifications and later the shipyard. In the early 1770s there are various references to one Francis Pulham as landlord of the Globe with auctions and sales being frequently held there.